Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Third Helping Chocolate Cake

When I read the recipe for this cake, it ended with "bake and sit down and eat half of it". Right then I knew I wanted to try the recipe. The cake is made with a chocolate cake mix recipe. Normally I never use cake mixes but they fascinate me so I read recipes that have a cake mix in them. Raised on a farm, we would make cake every day and at that time mixes were something you bought if you had no skills. My sister who was studying Home Economics and was learning about 'thinking about food' asked me if it was cheaper to make an angel food cake from a mix or from scratch. We had many chickens and so the obvious answer was from scratch. However, after the cost of chicken feed, time caring for the chickens, what do you do with all those yolks? was factored in, it was actually cheaper to use a cake mix. However the penultimate question is, "is the quality of the cake better?"


1 510 gram chocolate pudding in the mix - cake mix. I could not find this mix so I used Moist Deluxe Duncan Hines because I liked the picture on the box
16 oz. sour cream
1/4 cup oil
2 eggs
1/2 cup Kahlua
12 oz chocolate chips.

Glaze
1 cup of chocolate chips
1/8 cup cream

Calories - do not count

Mix the cake according to instructions on the box using the oil and the eggs when you beat the batter and then stir in the other ingredients. Bake in a greased bundt pan for 50 to 55 minutes. Cool completely. Invert on a plate and hope that the entire cake will break free from the bundt pan.

To glaze, melt 1 cup of good good quality chocolate with 1/8 cup of cream. Pour over the cake. Decorate with any fresh flowers.

Sit down and eat half the cake. Share the other half with your family and friends and be sure to save some for your daugher in law who has a sweet tooth.

Note: any one who has sampled this cake, asks for seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment