Sunday, March 21, 2010

Portuguese Canadian Bakery

Right now I have a mother and daughter staying with me from Brazil. In an attempt to find food for them that would remind them of home, I googled Portuguese food in Edmonton. Two postings came up: Portuguese Canadian Bakery on 5304 -118 Ave and Nata Portuguese Bakery on 15115 Stony Plain Road. So off we went to the Portuguese Canadian Bakery. It is a bakery, coffee shop, small deli and a dry goods grocery store. We arrived at 1600 hours and they had sold most of their baking. No one was sitting in the cafe area. Suzanne one of the two workers behind the counter spoke Portuguese. She conversed easily and freely with my guests. She recommended that we go to Fatima's to buy fruits and vegetables and noted that the store was owned by a Brazilian woman.

I asked Suzanne what the bakery was famous for and she quickly said the Portuguese buns. I bought six white flour dusted buns for $1.25. They were light, fine grained and the kind of bun that plays a supporting role in the drama and not the main character. It is inviting and I had the urge to pile cheese, cold cuts and pickles into the bun. The bun is large and would be perfect as a dinner roll if the main course was a stew. Then again it would also make the perfect sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment