Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Donna's Kitchen in Viking

Jim and I were in Viking for a meeting. I googled Viking to see where we could have a cup of tea or coffee after the meeting. The Koffee Kafe came up, hours of operation from 9 am to 5 PM. We could not find the cafe and ended up at Donna's Kitchen on Main Street. Thinking this might be the Koffee Kafe in another reincarnation, I asked Donna if she closed at 5PM. She gave me this long look and stated, "every day I am here at 5 Am. If I am lucky I am out of here by 7 PM but if I get a call from a crew, I don't leave until they are fed, 9, 10, 11 PM. Nevertheless I am back up at 5 Am". When I told her about my google results she replied, "they have been closed for 11 or 12 years". So much for google.

Donna was sensibly dressed in black pants with a bit of flour smugged on the side of one pant leg and black rubber boots. She was a middle aged no nonsense kind of woman. We ordered cinnamon buns and coffee. She brought us four made-that-day cinnamon buns, sticky enough to eat with a fork and knife. Free refills on the coffee. The bill was $4.00 for Jim and I. I thought something was wrong when she said $4.00. She caters and that day had done a lunch in Bruce, I did not ask how much she had charged but I was curious.

Her business card reads, Food With Flair, Catering Service and Concession, Donna Brooke, Main Street, Viking, AB T0B 4N0 (780) 336-2476 "No occasion too big or too small" A nice find.

No comments:

Post a Comment